Sunday, October 23, 2011

Beauty.


This is one of the best short videos I've ever seen. It's just a compilation of beautiful imagery and a speech by Richard Feynman (a famous physicist) about the importance of science and critical thought. In an age where NASA is desperately underfunded while this country spends over 1/3 of its money on meaningless wars, thinking about the future isn't particularly pleasant. Listening to Feynman talk about the sheer randomness of our existence, the fact that we are even here at all, makes me feel lucky to have any problems to begin with. But it also makes me wish for a more logical society, a culture of knowledge and respect instead of hatred. I really don't know if it's possible for the planet as a whole to put its differences aside and work towards creating a better world for everyone on it, but I'm quite convinced that we as a species are soon coming to a fork in the road of our destiny; one direction will lead to other worlds, and one will lead to extinction. I think that accepting the universe for what it really is is a step towards the right path.

"I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in the mysterious universe without having any purpose, which is the way it really is, as far as I can tell, possibly. It doesn't frighten me."

Sam P.

No comments:

Post a Comment