Thursday, May 7, 2015



Labels Are For Products NOT People

I seem to be going through an identity crisis. I know for a fact that I am an African-American male, but for some odd reason every time I do something I gain a new ethnicity. When I talk properly, which is just how I was raised, and strive to succeed in my music aspirations, since it isn't rap I'm white. When I play soccer, my favorite sport, and throw a little Spanish in my sentences I instantly become Hispanic (or also known as a less flattering term for that). Does this mean I could be Chinese since I love the food so much, even though I don't speak a lick of Mandarin or Cantonese? But the reason why I am reassured I'm at least PART black, is due to the fact that last week when I was in a 7-11 I had my first unpleasant profiling experience. Even though I try my hardest not to fulfill any stereotypes and present myself as a nice young man, he saw me as no different than shady person roaming the streets. Not sure how many "potential shoplifters" say "please", "thank you", and "have a nice day" but that is besides the point. I don't share this to complain but to ask that you think about what you say to people. I know I'm not the first or last to be treated this way, still one never knows how another person will react. I've learned to not pay it any mind because I'm proud to live in a very multicultural area, and have become a very multicultural person thanks to that. I hope this helps anyone who may have experienced the same thing and that it helps you to be true to yourself. Take it from an African-American, Latino, Caucasian, and Asian kid. Whose experienced a lot of different cultures in only 19 years of life.

-Izaak G
 Eng 112

No comments:

Post a Comment